It is important that a new starter feels welcome and prepared to start working in their new team. This checklist provides some suggestions for actions to take between appointment and start date, including:
- contacting the new starter by telephone and keeping in regular contact
- sending out a welcome pack
- introducing them to the team they will be working in
- assigning them a mentor or buddy
- planning a timetable for their first week.
Using the checklist below, work with the new starter’s manager to decide which elements of the checklist they will collate and which parts the HR or recruitment team will be responsible for.
This checklist is based on suggestions made by 16-24 year olds in our focus groups.